Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Student's Prayer

So, I found this on a friend's MySpace profile, and after a bit of clean-up (spelling, punctuation, etc) I wanted to share it. It didn't have a title or background, so I just simply titled it "A Student's Prayer"

Now sit me down in school where praying is against the rules,
This great nation under God finds mention of Him very odd.
This scripture now the class recites, it violates the bill of rights.
Anytime my head I bow, becomes a federal matter now.
Our hair could be purple, orange, or green, that's no offense, it's a freedom scene,
The law is specific, the law is precise, prayers spoken aloud or serious vice,
For praying in a public hall, might offend someone with no fate at all.
In silence alone we must meditate, God's name is prohibited by the state.
We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks, pierce our nose, tongues, and cheeks,
They outlawed guns, but first the Bible. To quote the good book, it makes me liable.
We can elect a pregnant senior queen, and the unwed daddy a senior king;
It's inappropriate to teach right from wrong, we're taught that such judgment does not belong.
We can get our condoms and birth control, study witchcraft, vampires, and totem pole,
But the Ten Commandments are not allowed. No word of God must reach this crowd.
It's scary here, I must confess, when chaos reigns, the schools a mess
so Lord this silent plea I make, should I be shot, my soul please take.
Amen.

No comments: